Alateen is a fellowship of young Al-Anon members, usually teenagers, whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. Young people come together to:
- ▪ Share experience, strength and hope with each other
- ▪ Discuss their difficulties
- ▪ Learn effective ways to cope with their problems
- ▪ Encourage one another
- ▪ Help each other understand the principles of the Al-Anon/Alateen program
Alateen members learn:
- ▪ Compulsive drinking is a disease
- ▪ They can detach themselves emotionally from the drinker’s problems while continuing to love the person
- ▪ They are not the cause of anyone else’s drinking or behavior
- ▪ They cannot change or control anyone but themselves
- ▪ They have spiritual and intellectual resources with which to develop their own potentials, no matter what happens at home
- ▪ They can build satisfying and rewarding life experiences for themselves
Alateen members are helped when they:
- ▪ Attend meetings on a regular basis
- ▪ Make telephone contact with other Alateen members
- ▪ Read Al-Anon/Alateen literature
- ▪ Have another Alateen member as a sponsor
- ▪ Apply the Twelve Steps of recovery to their lives
- ▪ Become involved in Al-Anon service work
Alateen meetings are held in church halls, school rooms or other suitable places (many times in the same building as an Al-Anon group, but in a separate room). Every meeting has at least two active, adult members of Al-Anon who serve as sponsors for the group, guiding and sharing knowledge of the Twelve Steps.
Go to our Alateen Meetings page for information about Al-Anon/Alateen meetings in your area.
Alateen Group Sponsorship
Every Alateen group needs at least two active, adult members of Al-Anon who can commit to serving as a sponsor to the group on a regular basis. Every sponsor goes through a certification process by Memphis Area AIS to become an “Al-Anon Member Involved in Alateen Service” (AMIAS). Please visit our Area website for more information: https://tn-al-anon.org/tn-alateen/.
Take this self-quiz to see if Alateen may be helpful for you.